b'24 SJC EMERGENCY RESPONSEEach week, the core team of city, airport and design-buildprincipal at MarJang Architecture. This partners met for two to three hours to discuss design issues,helped immensely with the decision-making review budget and scheduling items, and approve presentations.process and to keep our design, production Later, the sessions evolved into construction meetings. Theseand construction schedules on track.team meetings kept the pace of the project moving quickly and brought forward solutions and resolution to open issues throughDual Purposeteam collaboration and discussion, says Wong.The initial concept for a traditional ARFF facility The project team established a resolution ladder with projectshifted gears during schematic design whenKAREN MARmanagers from the core team on the first rung, followed by airportthe airport decided to incorporate a landside and city executives on the next. We would problem solve at thefacility, too. MarJangs original request for proposal included an core level first and only escalate issues that were not comingoption to add an apparatus bay, so the city and San Jos Fire to resolution within a three-day timeframe, explains Karen Mar,Department (SJFD) understood that it was contingent on funding. At that time our team did not know that it was a landside unit that would be added, Mar recalls. We assumed it was an additional | Rethinking InfrastructureARFF bay. The landside bay was studied during schematic design and integrated into the Proud to have served on the designproject documentation at the end of that phase.team for the new A.R.R.F. atThe building needed to include shared San Jose International facilities for both firefighting teams but also have separate, secured areas for their Airport (SJC)! corresponding bays. The facility has five ARFF baysfour for apparatuses and one for maintenanceplus one landside bay to serve the terminals and surrounding community. The station is staffed by SJFD personnel trained to work with specialized aircraft rescue and firefighting (ARFF) apparatus equipment. As such, all are badged to enter the airside station and airfield. SJFD leases the landside bay from the airport and pays 20% of the overall facilitys operational costs. The airport pays the other 80%. SJFD also contributed a similar percentage for the construction of the integrated landside bay and additional dormitories.Station FeaturesThe airport focused on creating a home away from home for firefighters, with comfortable interior features and access to respond to calls quickly. Designers also worked to create a sense of pride about working at SJC. It is a blend of work and living mixed together in a seamless design, Ross says.The ARFF apparatus bays are oriented toward the airfield and the landside bay to a private drive with street access. The team designed the station by analyzing the Services provided on this project: LEARN MORE paths ARFF vehicles would take onto the LEED Silver Plumbing and Electrical ABOUT THIS PROJECT: Air Operations Area. The landside bay was Engineering Design aroraengineers.com/project/sjcarff designed to provide access to the privateProgressive design-Atlanta | Baltimore | Boston | Charlottedrive and into the nearby intersection. The build delivery Chicago | Dallas | Los Angeles | Nashville existing three-way intersection needed a fourth New York | Philadelphia |St. Petersburg| San Josedirection to allow for the egress of apparatus and includes a secure access point to the October 2022AirportImprovement.com'